Thursday, January 29, 2009

Siimple ways to be thrifty....

I have often been asked about ways to be thrifty and I thought I would post a list of ways that I have found to be thrifty and were others can comment on ways they find to be thrifty.

  1. Plan meals for the full week or two weeks By limiting grocery store visits it saves you money as you don't pick up any extras that you don't really need.
  2. Cash only! I find this an amazing way to save not only because you are not using credit or debit cards but cash only really makes you think before you make your purchase. Not to mention banking fees your saving.
  3. Buy gifts ahead of time I find buying items at the end of season and clearance prices saves a bundle.
  4. Make gifts this is better than buying on clearance make the gifts yourself.
  5. Use the Library This is our biggest saver we are all big readers in our house not only that we borrow dvds for free from the library and we get them for a week. You can put them on hold right online and they will email you or call you when you want to pick up that specific book or dvd.
  6. Crockpot cooking I find if I cook anything in my crockpot no matter the meat it comes out so tender.
  7. Clip coupons local stores are running coupons a lot and you can also find them at your local walmart right on the shelves.
  8. Go thrift shopping or yard saling one of my favourite things to do in the nice weather is yard sale. We have picked up some great items over the years.
  9. Consignment clothing we have a local consignment store in town that I take my daughters clothing to and I get money back in return. Win win both ways. I usually find great deals there also.
  10. Buy in bulk and freeze this works great during meat and frozen veggie sales
  11. cook from scratch we have started making all our own buns and breads as well as other items at a fraction of the cost of store bought. It tastes better too.
  12. Enjoy free activities like walking, hiking and biking.
  13. Stay organized this saves you from buying things you already have so you are not buying things at full price.
  14. Cash in on reward points for us here Shoppers Drug Mart is great for giving rewards points back in money. They have certain times when you redeem you get more than usual too.

Please share with me any thrifty tips that you may have... share away...

No comments:

Post a Comment